Wednesday, 1 July 2015

Silk Clay Jewellery ideas

Hello everyone! Let's change the subject for a minute and though it's The Crafter's Workshop stencils month on our blog, let me share with you some of my ideas on how to use Silk Clay. Silk Clay comes in a wide range of colours and it's a lightweight, self-hardening, mixable, flexible and soft modeling material. Drying should take no longer than 24h, but for my pieces it was only about 6h. As a woman of course I love jewellery and that is why I thought that I have to try Silk Clay to make my own. Below you'll find three simple ideas. Hope you enjoy :)

1. Silk Clay + Silks + Treasure Gold = Triangle Necklace



For this necklace I cut out three triangles out of a thin slice of Silk Clay (I rolled it using a bottle). Before I did that I stamped on it with Dylusions stamps Doodle Delight without ink - only to get the texture.







After drying I painted my triangles with three different colours of Silks and then applied Treasure Gold with my finger on top. Using jump rings I connected all three triangles and found the perfect chain for my necklace.



Products used:


2. Silk Clay + Iced Enamels + Treasure Gold = Faux Shell Pendant



After rolling Silk Clay to about 2 mm I cut out an irregular shape using a knife. I let it dry for 6h and after that I painted it using two different colours of Treasure Gold with my finger.



Then I applied a thin layer of Iced Enamels Medium using a paint brush in the center of my pendant and sprinkled some Iced Enamels powders on it. Next thing was to melt it with heating tool and add a little bit more of Iced Enamels to make it more interesting.






Products used:

3. Silk Clay + Stamping + Silks = Miniature Jewellery Tray

I rolled Silk Clay into a 3 mm slice and cut out a circle. I stamped on it using Archival Ink and a Dylusions stamp. Then I shaped it to make my little bowl using my fingers and a tiny bottle and cut the edge to make it smoother.
































After drying I painted the outside of my bowl with Silks using two different colours. This little tray turned to be a perfect little pot for earings that I take off in the evening or all tiny beads and pendants.




Products used:

Hope you enjoyed my quick step-by-steps. Try to experiment with Silk Clay and think about all of the possibilities it gives to you. You can use it in different colours - can you imagine how amazing Treasure Gold must look like on little pendants made with black Silk Clay? It also works really well with Molds, and the best thing is that when its dry its still quite soft and so light, so isn't cumbersome, (perfect for earrings) experiment and have fun!
Kasia

5 comments:

  1. Your projects are beautiful Kasia, I particularly love the first two. Great step by steps too - very inspiring! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! As a keen (amateur) jewelry maker, these gorgeous pieces are so inspirational! The triangles pendant is my favourite but I adore the 2nd one too. This clay may need to go on my (never-ending) wish list as it air dries. I have clay but can never be bothered with baking it. I am already a fan of powders & Silks have been patiently waiting on aforementioned wish list. Oh gosh, where to begin? Kasia, you are so clever, thank you for a brilliant post!! C
    (Back to stencil piece, challenging me more than I first thought. Lol)....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the jewellery pieces - just so very cute and would make a fab gift for a friend. Thank you so much for sharing - I know that at some part I definitely need to get the Silks too, just that the pennies are too tight right now Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh how I love Silks Kasia.... and your jewels are INCREDIBLY LOVELY! I have never made anything like this... you did WONDERFULLY. Thanks bunches for sharing so much of how you did it too. j.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh how I love Silks Kasia.... and your jewels are INCREDIBLY LOVELY! I have never made anything like this... you did WONDERFULLY. Thanks bunches for sharing so much of how you did it too. j.

    ReplyDelete